Eva, Miriam and Beatrice James were Red Cross nurses during World War One. They were the daughters of Thomas and Rachel James who lived at Rosemont farm, Dunmore. Their grandfather, William James, was one of Shellharbour’s first European settlers, and the James family were known for their kindness and generosity to others.
William, a stonemason, arrived in Australia in the 1850s. He settled in Shellharbour at Dunmore and built his home “Bravella”
. He purchased breeding stock from local farmer Andrew McGill
and established the James Family dairy herd
. William was an Alderman on the first Shellharbour Municipal Council in 1859 and served as Mayor 1870-1871.
Eva, Miriam and Beatrice James, Red Cross Nurses c.1920
From “Town and Country Journal” 25th April 1917; Title on photograph: Red Cross Workers at Woonona, New South Wales. The Woonona branch of the Red Cross League was formed on June 30, 1915, with an enrolment of 40 members. The sum of 176 pounds 6 shillings and threepence halfpenny has been received from different sources, including voluntary weekly subscriptions from members. The branch has purchased many yards of flannelette and made it up into pyjamas and shirts, and has also made up sheets, and has bought wool for socks. Altogether about 1200 articles have been made and forwarded to headquarters for the sick and wounded and prisoners of war. The president of the Woonona branch of the Red Cross League is Mrs Abel Jones, who is shown in the centre of the front row, while on her right is Miss Rose Mitchell (secretary) and Miss C.A. Richardson (treasurer) is on the president’s left.